Sausage Ragù Over Polenta
Look for bulk sausage, not links, to save the trouble of removing the casings. You can also substitute ground pork, beef, or turkey.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces bulk pork Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
Here are your Instructions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in pepper. Remove sausage mixture to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Remove pan from heat (do not wipe out pan).
Combine onion, carrot, and garlic on a cutting board; finely chop. Return pan to medium-high. Add onion mixture to pan; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add sausage mixture, 1/2 cup water, and tomato sauce to pan; cook 1 minute.
Bring remaining 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. whisk in polenta. Reduce heat; cook 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently with a whisk or spoon. Stir in cheese. Serve polenta with pork mixture and parsley, if desired.