Roasted Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, and Brown Rice Pilaf
This colorful side dish packed with vegetables is hearty enough to be your main course!
- 2 cups cubed raw pumpkin (½-inch cubes)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 3 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry brown rice
Here are your instructions:
Combine pumpkin, sweet potato, and 1 tsp. oil in a medium bowl; mix well.
Arrange pumpkin mixture on baking pan.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stir; continue baking for 10 to 12 additional minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion, celery, and kale; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Add broth, bay leaf, and rice. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to low; gently boil for 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf.
Gently fold in pumpkin mixture.