Green Gazpacho with Cucumber and Radishes
Gazpacho: It’s just cold soup, isn’t it? While that’s technically true, “cold soup” doesn’t do justice to this ancient Spanish dish. It’s a nourishing blend of garlic, cumin, and red wine vinegar, traditionally made with a tomato base and sopped up with crusty French bread on hot days.
This recipe puts a spin on gazpacho with refreshing, hydrating, and potassium-rich cucumbers and spiced it up with peppery radishes and aromatic shallots. This green gazpacho is big on flavor and very low on sodium, unlike other soups that can rely heavily on salt, and keep you satisfied with a dish that’s just 114 calories.
Make it ahead of time, store it in the fridge and voila, you’ve got a cold, revitalizing superfood-packed meal that’s easy to make.
This green gazpacho with cucumber is a great starter to a summer meal. Garnish it with microgreens, sliced radish and, my absolute favorite, pine nuts (they’re like tiny, earthy bursts of butter), and dig in with a spoon. Or, plunge a hunk of your favorite bread into it. You could go the traditional French bread route or select a more nutrient-dense option with this super seeded Paleo-friendly bread. We understand that bread is a very personal choice.
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ ripe medium avocado, cut into chunks
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 medium radishes, peeled to remove red skin, chop 4 radishes, thinly slice
- 1 radish and reserve slices for garnish
- 1 tbsp. toasted pine nuts, coarsely chopped microgreens (for garnish; optional)
Here are your instructions:
Place oil, water, vinegar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if desired), avocado, and cucumbers in blender in 2 batches, if necessary; cover. Blend until almost smooth.
Add shallot, garlic, and 4 chopped radishes. Blend until smooth.
Serve each portion garnished with pine nuts, microgreens, and sliced radishes.