Chickpea Curry with Chicken
This protein-rich chicken curry with chickpeas dish is richly spiced. For a milder (or hotter) version, adjust the amount of chili powder to your taste.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast tenders
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. mustard seed
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin, divided use
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
Here are your ingredients:
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan. Set aside.
Heat skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ½ tsp. cumin, and mustard seed; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
Add turmeric, remaining ½ tsp. cumin, coriander, chili powder, chickpeas, tomatoes, chicken broth, and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil for 10 to 15 minutes.